Thursday, May 24, 2012

Muskrats on the Lake

We have muskrats living on the edge of the lake.  Muskrats are the size of a small cat and feed on the roots of cattails that grow abundantly in our marsh.

Photo from EEK

Here is the lodge just on the edge of the marsh.

Our muskrat house can best be seen from the lake. I noticed it first when I was walking on the ice this last winter.  I haven't seen any fresh signs of muskrats this Spring yet.

I have a neighbor that credits the muskrats and the beavers with keeping the lake near their dock cleared of cattails and other lake weeds. Our neighbors are thrilled with this because it means that they are able to get their boats out of the docking area without clogging their motors with lake weeds

More information about muskrats on my favorite nature site at EEK Wisconsin


For more information on House In The Wood please go to our website at www.houseinthewood.org
We are operated by