Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Birds in Our Wetland

These are some of our marsh birds. They depend on the marsh for food, shelter and nesting sites.

Blue Winged Teals-males and females

The Blue Winged Teals are ducks that may move on to nest further north. I'll keep you updated.


Wood Duck-male





















































I have been trying to get a picture of this shy little duck for weeks.We have Wood Duck nesting boxes on the south side of our marsh. I am not sure if anyone is maintaining them--they need to be cleaned out every year. Next winter, I'll put on my snowshoes and walk on over there to check.
 
Belted Kingfisher. Yum, yum. I like to eat fish!
 I have rarely seen the Kingfisher at House In the Wood so it was a special treat to see it AND to have my camera to take a picture. I stalked him with my camera pass the marsh and into the forest along the lake. Here he is perched on an oak tree.

Great Blue Heron
 The Great Blue Heron can be found hunting along the edges of the lake and marsh every day.

Red Winged Blackbird on Wood Duck Nesting Box
This blackbird must have been defending a nest because he kept on clacking at me most insistently.

Sandhill Crane. Yum, yum. I'm looking for frogs to eat!
Last year there was a nesting pair of Sandhill Cranes. I haven't seen any sign of another crane or a nest this year yet. I'll keep you updated. Click the link for more information on Sandhill Cranes from my favorite nature site EEK Wisconsin

More information about House In The Wood at www.houseinthewood.org.
We are operated by: