Saturday, July 7, 2012

Session Two--They Saw Their FIRST Deer

When I went to visit the two outdoor adventure groups on the south end of camp, the campers (AND staff) gave me an excited account of how EVERY morning they wake up and see a doe (female deer) and her two fawns (baby deer). "AND," they tell me, "they are THIS close! See, here are the foot prints!" They show me the footprints a few feet from their tent along the trail.

"So," they say, "we went up and got the other cabin so they could see it too."

When I went up the hill to talk to the other cabin, one of the counselors who went to House In The Wood as a child said, "And this is the first time that I got to see a deer here." There was a little bit of awe in his voice--he was special, he got to see a deer!

I do an introduction about the animals at camp around our welcome campfire the first night. I talk about the deer and how shy they are.  And yep, I also talk about how lucky it is to even see a deer at camp since they usually run away. So, of course, they had to tell me all about the experience.

Session 2 has gone now...but I like to remember the excitement they shared when they saw their first deer at camp.




For more information on House In The Wood please go to our website at www.houseinthewood.org
We are operated by