Sunday, October 14, 2012

Can't Find Me!

I was looking at the lichen on this tree and then...I noticed this little fellow. 

I was amazed at how well the grasshopper blended into the tree. Look at his colors and patterns. They mimic perfectly the colors of the bark and lichen. When I looked closer, I found another one of these little insects huddled into a groove in the bark. 

It was REALLY cold that morning (I could see my breath). When it is this cold, insects can't move. This makes insects like grasshoppers a perfect breakfast food for predators on a chilly autumn morning. So, if you can't hop away; the next best thing is to hide REALLY well. The grasshopper's CAMOFLAGE is even more effective because most predators see in black and white. This makes the 'hopper virtually invisible. Camoflage means "to blend into the background." It is a very important survival mechanism for many animals including birds, mammals and reptiles.

For more information on House In The Wood please go to our website at www.houseinthewood.com
We are operated by


all rights reserved 2012 Valerie J Wright